Turbine Body
My Designs | Data | Other Designs | Resources | About

The body I built for the commercial motor was cheap and simple. I used 1/2" (1.27cm) plywood for everything but the base piece the motor sits on, which was 3/4" (1.9cm) plywood. The body is needed for a couple of reasons. It protects the motor from bad weather, provides a place to connect the turbine to the tower, and has tail fins so that the turbine will turn in the wind.

Below are the specifications for the body I built.




I started by connecting the base of the body to the motor. The motor I used had two holes pre-bored that fit 1/4" (6.35mm) bolts. I drilled holes in the base plywood so that I could run bolts up into these holes. The motor was sitting off of the base a little bit with the bolts flush, so I added a few washers to fill the space. (You can't see this in the picture)


You  can see the two bolts here, as well as the pipe flange used to connect the turbine body to the tower. It is a bit tricky to get everything bolted in without running into something else.


I built up the structure around the motor first.


The tail fin didn't quite fit perfectly underneath the top of the structure, so I had to take it off to screw in the fins.


A close up of the screws. Use pleanty of screws! The fins will experience a fair bit of force during use.


I used 1" (2.54cm) #6 screws and 1.5" (3.81cm) #5 screws. To connect the fins, I used four 1" screws into the side, and two 1.5" screws from the bottom.


Both fins added


After both fins were in, I added the top back.


The completed turbine body





My Designs | Data | Other Designs | Resources | About